Teaching in and beyond pandemic times
Keywords:teaching, education, Covid-19, public schools, teachers, tribute, pedagogy, poverty, priveledge, parent teachers, peer teaching, pastoral care, post-pandemic, pandemic
Here for the first time is an account of the inner lives of teachers during and immediately after the pandemic lockdown. What is teaching like during a pandemic? How did teachers manage their emotional lives as colleagues became infected, hospitalised, and died? What did teachers actually do to bridge the gap in teaching and learning where schools and homes lacked electronic resources? These are amongst the many questions on which this collection of teacher stories sheds light. Most of these are stories of hope, resilience, and enormous courage in the face of a deadly virus. Your faith in teachers and teaching will be restored after reading this book.
1. A tribute to South Africa's teachers
2. A dedicatory poemBehind closed doors
3. Perspective as co‑editor of this book, and as a practising teacher
4. Teacher stories about pandemic teachingOrganised by ten emerging themes
5. What do we learn from the teacher stories in this book?Ten lessons for a post-pandemic school system
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.